Tuesday, March 11, 2014

One day out of 365.....

Only God could orchestrate the day my precious father died to be the same day our youngest daughter celebrates her birth.  When we found out V's birthday, I truly couldn't believe it.  It was such a shock to get the call on March 12th that Dad was gone from his earthly life and had joined Jesus in heaven.  We had celebrated his 80th birthday the month before and had a wonderful day!  Later that evening, something from the party (could have been too much shrimp--one of his favorites:)) didn't sit so well with him.  Mom and I were up with him many, many times overnight with Dad feeling like he was going to get sick--which meant raising his hospital bed so he would be upright (Dad had a stroke 16 years before and both legs amputated so would need help in different ways).  I loved sitting with him on his bed, rubbing his back and neck, getting him cool washcloths.  I loved sharing the night talking with him. Many times that night, I thought about how one day I would look back on that night of caring for him and be so thankful I was there. I never realized it would be so soon.



How I miss my wonderful father!  In so many ways.  I miss his love for Mom, his ability to keep her laughing and full of energy as she cared for him.  I miss his sense of humor, always coming up with one-liners that had us rolling in laughter.  I miss his eyes sparkling with joy when he greeted us,  giving each one of us his full attention.  I miss his amazing way of connecting with all his grandkids, caring about what each was doing and spending time talking with them.  I miss eating waffles with him in the mornings we were there (and his many attempts to get more!).  I miss being amazed at his memory and his awesome crosswords ability--he truly wowed all of us with his memory!  I miss his love---loving me always for who I was, never making me feel like I needed to change in order to have him love me. Accepting me as an individual and allowing me to do what I desired and step back from those things that weren't for me (track, huh Pete?! )  I thank God for the blessing of being raised by such a wonderful man---a man who walked his talk and who truly defined a godly man.  Who touched so many in his life through how he lived out his faith.  Someone who taught us all what loving your spouse and children meant.  Someone who taught me so much about my Heavenly Father through how he lived out his life and faith.   I rejoice in knowing that he is with his Savior and his daughter and  rejoice in knowing that I will see him again one day.  But I do miss him so much.

When Bill and I decided to start a family, I told Bill the only month I didn't want to have a baby was April.    My dear sister Jenny's birthday was in April, and she died in April (five years before).  Our due date for our first child was in January.   We ended up losing that baby, and I got pregnant again--with a due date of April 17.  God really does know how to help me work through those things I don't think I want to handle:)  Our sweet Jenny was born March 27th.

When I got pregnant with Jack, our due date was January 21st--the same due date for the baby we lost. Only God--out of 365 days.

So I again sit in wonder at His timing---the death of my wonderful father but also his homecoming date being the same as our youngest daughter's entry into this world.  Only God.  He is good!




2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's amazing. Only God! :-) Thanks for sharing!

    We lost a baby after Sarah and then Anna was due w/in 2 days of the baby we lost. But she was 9 days late! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate so much to your missing your dad Amy. I miss my mom so much.

    Its so hard to describe the intense longing there is for someone you love that has gone to be with the Lord. God is so merciful to welcome them but its the waiting to be with Him and them that can be excruciating...and missing them can come on at the most unexpected times. Thank God for the place He has prepared for us and for the privilege of sharing the Truth about Him with others til we see Him face to face.
    Love, Shel

    ReplyDelete